Start Here – Welcome!
Welcome to PollyBarks.com! I’m so glad you’re here! My mission is to break down the big, overwhelming ideas of zero waste* and living sustainably into smaller, more actionable pieces.
Because if sustainability is hard to understand, how can it be accessible to those who need it most?
What's in this post
“Shh! I just want to start my zero waste journey NOW!”
I’ve been talking about this online since early 2017 – and exploring zero waste on a super tight budget in a small Midwestern city since 2015.
So when you have a problem finding something plastic-free, I mean it when I say “ugh, I know what you’re talking about!”.
Luckily, there are so many ways we can be kind to the environment beyond plastic packaging – I’m here to show you how you can live a realistic zero waste life without sweating that piece of plastic on the pasta box.
If it’s your first time here, I’m sure all of the resources on the site can feel a little overwhelming, so here are some ideas to get you started.
1: Let’s get to know each other!
2: Join the community!
There are a ton of ways to stay in touch!
First, you can sign up for the newsletter.
You’ll get weekly tips and tricks for a low-waste life as well as info on all the new posts and videos live on the site!
3: Start exploring zero waste!
If you’re new to zero waste, I recommend Starting a Zero Waste Lifestyle, Step-by-Step. That will talk you through all the ways you can get started with zero waste that don’t start and stop with a mason jar full of trash. (Trust me, there’s so much more to explore!)
The most popular starting zero waste posts
- A year of zero waste, month-by-month
- 33 easy ways to start zero waste living
- The ultimate list of zero waste books
- How to fight climate change alone
The most popular zero waste swaps posts
- 80+ zero waste swaps for sustainable living
- The big list of zero waste cleaning recipes
- 15+ affordable zero waste makeup brands
- Zero waste hair care for all budgets
The most popular zero waste on a budget posts
- How to go zero waste on a budget
- Participate in the zero waste movement for free
- Use your privilege to make zero waste accessible
The most popular “beyond the plastic bag” posts
- 13 reasons why zero waste is more than a plastic bag
- Using privilege to make zero waste more accessible
- Environmental racism and the zero waste movement
- Zero waste self care for the reluctant revolutionary
4: Did you know I teach stuff IRL too?
I totally do! If you’re looking for someone to help your business or organization transform their approach to environmental sustainability by providing accessible, fact-based resources and strategies, I’m you’re gal!
In real English… Basically, I take the goal of “being more sustainable” into a measurable, actionable goal like “do a trash audit and reduce your landfill-bound waste by 50% by doing X, Y, Z”.
Check out my Work With Me page for more details!